Transit cop who left explosives
on plane resigns after report
he neglected police dog

Kent Spencer, Vancouver Province, Feb. 7, 2013


A former Transit Police officer who accidentally left explosives aboard a plane was also “neglecting” a police dog and deceiving his superiors.

The details are contained in the 2011 annual report of the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner, which only came to light on Thursday.

The report reveals new information about the officer responsible for a well-publicized lost explosives fiasco aboard an Air Canada jet two years ago.

The unnamed officer, who resigned from the force before he could be fired, also used his police vehicle to cross the Canada-U.S. border three times without permission.


The investigation found that he employed “deceit” in his duty reports concerning his reasons for using the vehicle.

But perhaps his most controversial misconduct was the treatment of the police dog in his care.

“The investigation determined that the member failed to ensure the welfare of the police dog,” said the commissioner’s report.

“The dog was taken from the member, and veterinary care was required to bring the dog back to normal health.”


Transit Police spokeswoman Anne Drennan said the animal was not physically abused or malnourished.

“The dog was taken away after it was found with fleas,” said Drennan. “That was unacceptable.”

The dog has since left the force and been adopted out. Drennan said the officer is no longer in a policing job.

Jordan Bateman, B.C. director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, said the dog’s neglect “sickened” him.


“It really bothers me. The animal wasn’t treated with the respect taxpayers expect,” said Bateman, who has been critical of Transit Police’s expenditures in the past.

“People in B.C. are pretty sensitive to dog care. It’s a touchy issue and rightfully so,” he said.

Drennan said the officer was the same one involved in a January, 2011 incident in which explosives were left aboard an operational Boeing 767 at Vancouver International Airport following a dog-sniffing exercise.


The explosives were never found despite an exhaustive police investigation that required 74 pages to summarize. The plane was searched 14 times.

Drennan said a blasting cap would have been needed to set off the explosives. Safety procedures have now been tightened.

She said the officer’s actions shouldn’t tarnish the reputation of the force, which is frequently criticized for its high salaries and $27-million annual budget.

“No police department ever wants to discuss members who have acted inappropriately.” she said. “But his actions shouldn’t reflect on the force as a whole.”

Go to Transit Cops page
Go to News and Comment page